2006-04-10

Hope?

It looked like just another Monday. You don't see a whole lot of happy faces on the drive in to work Monday mornings. Even those of us who enjoy our jobs, and it seems we're scarcer every day, would rather get a little extra sleep or wind back the clock to Sunday afternoon.

What seemed odd to me was the fact that everyone I spoke to, all day, had little good to say about anything. As the day went on, I found myself feeling more and more discouraged. It didn't help that all the news was either depressing or frightening in some way. People being oppressed or killed does not make for encouraging news. Surely there must be some positive things happening in the world? But I guess they don't sell advertising.

Outside, the temperatures finally broke through solidly into the double digits (Centigrade), the sun was shining cheerfully, and all seemed right with the world. It damn near made me burst out crying.

We walk with our heads down, glumly. We complain about everything. We tolerate opressors in our own purportedly free countries. Our greatest danger is in becoming our own self-fulfilling prophecies.

I'm no Pollyanna, but I do think that there is more positive than negative in the world, and I'm determined to make my little corner of it a more positive place. I refuse to believe that there is no hope for the world.

If hope springs eternal, then let me help it flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment